Monday, February 2, 2009

Venus and Mars

This weekend my pastor was preaching about the differences between men and women and the fact that we each feel loved in different ways. He pointed out a number of biological difference between men and women, the one which I found most entertaining to be the difference in our need to talk. Apparently on average women feel the need to speak about 50,000 words per day, while men only speak about 10,000. And when Harvard did a study of how much husbands and wives felt they needed to spend talking to their spouse to keep a healthy relationship women averaged out at 45-60 minutes per day and men averaged at 15-20 minutes per week! Talk about a difference!

So, tonight I'm standing in the kitchen getting dinner ready and Sandor and I are chatting about the day. He gets an adjustment and massage on Mondays and I've noticed over the last few weeks that he will come home after work, hang out for a while, then go back across town to the chiropractor, which is located about 5 minutes from his work. I found this strange but I kept thinking there was a reason for this behavior so I never asked. I haven't' yet been able to find a reason, so for some reason I asked him today if he ever thought of moving his chiropractor appointment up so that it was right after he finished work. He looked at me for a minute and said 'no, I guess I really didn't'. I absolutely thought he was joking since I don't really see how that idea NEVER crossed his mind. But he assured me it did not. Really? This is something that just boggles my mind. When I have a few errands to do it doesn't cross my mind to NOT plan out the most efficient way to get them done. Perhaps it comes with the territory of running 95% of the errands in addition to working every day, but really, it's just amazing to me.

Now I'm certainly not saying that every male in the universe neither talks a lot nor runs errands in any kind of ordered or thought out fashion, but it is interesting how different people can be and that just cracked me up as an absurdly obvious one. It also made me laugh after having just had that conversation and then looking down at the garnish that was going on our chicken tonight. I had to make it in two different bowls because I hate olives and Sandor is not a huge fan of avocados. Apparently they like avocados in my section of Venus and olives in Sandor's section of Mars.
By the way, it was another one of those 'Convenient Meals' from Real Simple and it was delicious...and took me 20 minutes!

3 comments:

  1. Efficient women take the fun out of men being men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laird talks A LOT, but from my experience, that is not the man norm. Still he makes up for that but being ubermanly in having absolutely no grasp of calendar time. It really boggles my mind sometimes how he can run his business when he lives in such a present moment realm. Perhaps dwelling in the present moment is an essential hunter brain thing and thinking -and talking- past, present, future all at once is essential for good gathering skills??? Ursala LeGuin says it is about spears and baskets. Our brains, that is. http://www.womenwriters.net/archives/coltoned1.htm
    -Ant B, armchair anthropologist

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie usually plans my errand routes for me. She calls me at work about an hour before I leave and says "Honey will you stop by CVS on your way home and pick up this and then stop by Kroger and pick up that and don't forget to use the discount card and the coupons I put in your car this morning"...after years of training I've also learned that its best to not come home if I forget to use the discount card and the coupons :)... and I'm definitely in the olive section of Mars.

    ReplyDelete