Friday, November 21, 2008

Canning times 3

You may remember my reference to huge quantities of food coming from our CSA. And you may remember my newly learned skill of canning, which Nicole and I semi-perfected earlier this year. Well, I have combined those two facts, along with the fact that Christmas is coming and the budget is tightening, into a lovely evening pasttime for this week - canning veggies for Christmas presents. Last night was dilly beans, tonight is hot pepper chutney, and Sunday with the help of Nicole again will be sweet potato butter. These are all recipes from a new book that I got which gives ideas for things to can by the month they are in season in the South. The author came and spoke at DNR for one of our public seminar series events and made the sweet potato butter for us to try. It's fun, saves money and keeps me warm in the evening (I was in a tank top last night!). So, don't be surprised if you get a can of South Carolina grown and canned veggies for Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. I really am very impressed - not only with the finished product, but with how spotless your kitchen is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the same CSA, and I've been struggling to get through all the beans (and Dill)! Can you recommend any sites for getting started on this?

    ReplyDelete