Friday, January 23, 2009

The Purpose of Confusion

You know how most everything is grouped with specific types of items in all grocery stores, so in general you can go into a store, find what you need, and leave. However, there are always so few random things in random places in the each store. I have determined their purpose - it is so that you can find almost everything you go there for and then you have to wander around the entire store looking for that one item you can't seem to find because it's location is just a little different than the grocery store down the street. In the process of wandering you inevitably find one or two other items that you didn't 'necessarily need, but would be useful' and then on certain occasions you find those items you really don't need at all but now that you've seen them simply HAVE to buy it.

Today, that was the yellow cake and chocolate icing. I needed 4 things. Soft cat food, lettuce, grated Parmesan cheese and a bottle of coke for Sandor. I had everything but the cheese and I couldn't remember if at the Pig they put it with the pasta or with the condiments, or ... and all of the sudden I remembered in that store it was in the back with the milk and yogurt. I finished walking the aisle I was wandering when what do I find but the cake mixes. I tried very very hard to ignore their enticing little 'please eat me' voice, and I almost succeeded, but in the end I determined that a Friday evening alone at the house with just me and the dog was a perfectly good reason to make myself a yellow cake with chocolate icing and eat one and perhaps two pieces...just because.

And a good decision it was. Way to go grocery store confusion :)

2 comments:

  1. It once took me 35 minutes, two store workers, and 2 grocery shopping moms to find the Velveeta.

    ReplyDelete