Saturday, August 2, 2008

Home Ec 101

There is a blog titled Home Ec 101, that offers quite interesting tid-bits about random housekeeping and otherwise home ec related topics. I have one for the books...getting wax off of brick. Yes, random. Months ago Sandor and I were burning a candle in the living room and weren't paying attention to the fact that the side of the candle had bent over (the way candles tend to do) and wax was dripping out of the side of it down onto the brick on our fireplace. Due to the fact it was dripping about 4 feet it did this nice splatter pattern on the brick in addition to piling up at the spot where the actual drips were falling.

I knew I could get a good amount of it off by scraping it with a Spackle knife, but after that I was at a loss because there was wax down in all the grooves of the bricks. So, needless to say the wax has sat there on our brick for the past 4 or 5 months - yes we are absurdly lazy when it comes to some things. I hated the look of it, but I didn't really know what to do, and it never rose to the top of the 'need to do now' list, so it just kinda lingered.

Fast forward to this weekend. My parents came in town to do a little beach time before heading to my sister's house to help with some bathroom remodeling. My dad said that he saw on TV a guy that was selling some kind of steamer to lift wax off of surfaces, so we decided to try the iron and see if we could get anywhere. I mean at this point, what can it hurt. So, I scraped off the worst of it, which left it looking like this...

...then we took an old kitchen towel that accidentally got thrown in the darks with a previously unlaundered green blanket (not washing lights with previously unwashed darks is a pretty basic Home Ec rule, but whatever) and the iron on the highest setting...

...and VIOLA! No more wax - it worked perfectly! This is my dad and I looking amazed at all the wax that is now on the towel and not on my brick (ignore the bathing suit we had just come in from swimming and I was going to be teaching lessons in a half hour so I didn't want to bother changing into clothes just to change back into a swim suit).

So, keep that in mind if you ever leave a candle unattended (yes another very basic Home Ec rule) and it drips wax on something. It's nothing an old dish towel and your iron can't handle.

1 comment:

  1. We get a lot of fun requests and your solution is exactly what I would have suggested.

    By the way, you aren't lazy, you are human. You should see the wall in our house that needs repainting.

    ReplyDelete