Thursday, August 28, 2008

Dreams

As an event planner I have to hand it to the Democratic party. They did an impressive job of choosing a week for their convention. Tuesday was the anniversary of Women's Right to Vote and Hillary Clinton spoke. Today is the anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr's 'I Have a Dream' speech and Barack Obama accepted the democratic party nomination. No matter what party you are from, you have got to admit that is some darn good timing!

I realized that I have never actually read Martin Luther King Jr's speech in its entirety. And so I decided today would be the day. In case you have not, here is a link to the full text. It is well worth the 5 minutes it will take you to read it.

I am generally impressed with people with vision who are dedicated to their dreams. I don't really care if I agree with them, or if I share their goals. The fact that someone can have a dream and hold it so tightly to come across to others as an inspiration is amazing to me. I've only seen a few people that hold my concentration because of their passion and vision. And whether you believe Barack Obama should be the next president or not, I for one am impressed with his passion and vision. I'm glad I stayed up to hear his speech tonight. And I'm glad that it inspired me to finally read Martin Luther King Jr's speech. There are some things in life that you should do and reading the words of someone like Martin Luther King Jr is one of them. The true measure of someone's vision is whether they can inspire vision in others. My main hope for this country is that we have leaders with vision who inspire people with their dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment