Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Big Snow

So...I got my snow...and then some! Around Christmas time I was feeling very left out with being the only person in my family not seeing a snow storm. When I headed home I figured I may be able to get some snow, but, I never figured I would see quite this much.


Yes, that is a trampoline frame. And it was still snowing at this point! The news called for 20-30 inches and it did not disappoint. You see that band of really dark blue...that is where I am.

Needless to say the dogs were not quite as tall as was necessary to comfortably deal with the snow. Instead they did this hilarious dolphin-like action leaping through the mounds of snow. It was hysterical to watch.

Check out what Kaylinn looked like every time she came in - her long furry hair and the snow were a disastrous combination. We tried rubbing (it just made bigger ice balls) and even a hair dryer, to no avail. Eventually the poor thing just had to sit there and lick them off.

Beyond flat out entertainment factor, it led to very sleepy pups, who spent their time split between napping and barking at the birds on and below the bird feeders. Apparently they were very offended that the birds could stand on top of the snow. Personally I think the birds should have been offended that the dogs were barking at them after sitting by a warm fire.


Unfortunately there was a part that I had forgotten about snow...or perhaps blocked from memory. Shoveling out AFTER a ginormous snow storm. My mom and dad had stayed in Baltimore since my mom has to get to the hospital every day (the ended up walking to the hospital on Saturday). Without my dad around for shoveling support we were on our own. We followed directions and shovelled off the porch often. Here is me shoveling at partial snow point (we did this about 5 or 6 times so I don't know when in the snow fall it was).


The real problem came in when we had to tackle the front of the house. If it was us to us I would have been fine to stay snowed in, but alas, you must get back to life. This was the view out the front door near the end of the snow...

And this is what it looked like around 1:00 today. Now granted we had nothing to do with the roads, purely the cars, but that is a LOT of snow movement!

Brandy headed out to start the project while I finished up cleaning the kitchen.

She eventually figured out it made you feel like you had accomplished a lot more if you could get to the point where you could actually pull one of the cars out. You then had to shovel to the other car, then pull that out, then pull the first in, shovel the rest of the area, then pull the second one in. After getting those two done we were toast and ended up leaving my parents other car as was...yes, I know we are horrible children. Might I add that when my dad got home he didn't seem to have nearly the issues with the shoveling that we did. Apparently practice does make perfect. His shovelling was far superior to our initial attempts.

So now that we are technically able to reach the outside world I probably have to stop watching TLC and the Food Network for 18 of the 24 hours in a day :)

1 comment: