Friday, February 12, 2010

Back to the Business at Hand

The daily commute started up again today. Shot has been given and blood results are actually already done, but we are waiting on blood chemistry and a visit from the nurse practitioner. The one thing that is different is it's my last day doing this - I head home tomorrow. For some reason after I dropped my mom off and parked the car I started crying. I can't figure out exactly why. It could be my brain giving up even the vestiges of being in control since I won't be able to help with anything from this point on. Or it could be having not been down here for two days and my emotions getting back into the groove of suppressing the seriousness of it all (somehow it's different at the hospital than at home). Or it could be that I'm leaving tomorrow and I get a little over-emotional when I leave home, or leave my parents, or leave my sister, or leave a crazy situation, or leave what has become normal life for what is actually normal life that doesn't feel normal anymore - and I'm leaving all of those, so that might add up. Or it could just be that I'm tired - taking care of my mom, the house, Nicole, my dad, attempting to keep track of work, and home and church, and getting ready to go back to it all, is starting to wear on me. And there is a lot more shoveling involved in care-taking post bone marrow transplant than one might initially imaging :) I don't feel like it's any one of those, but who knows these days, perhaps it's all of them.

My mom's hair started falling out last night. For some reason she is not just cutting it all off. I, personally, would hate having handfuls of hair everytime I rubbed my hand over my head. But, it's not my hair, so I've got no say in the matter. Some of my emotion may be wrapped up in that getting to her (you can tell when things get to my mom, she tends to get quiet). And the fact that not much has gotten to her makes something getting to her all the worse. Other than a few days when she felt sick she has been pretty normal. In fact last week after the first major snowstorm when she and my dad stayed in Baltimore, she walked to the hospital. Yes, walked. It was just over a mile, but still she had absurdly low counts and just put on some boots and headed out. The next day when she was giving a run down of how she felt to the nurse, she said 'well you know I had to walk the other day', and the nurse said (and I quote) 'yes, I know, everyone was talking about you'. Apparently, when some of the nurses said they couldn't get to work, they were told a patient had walked in, so they could certainly get there. :)

Considering she is barely following any of our rules anymore, it's not that surprising. Here is what the 'isolation room' looked like the other night during the snow...

Not so isolated, eh? She has followed the no public areas rule, and hasn't tried to talk us into going out to eat. And she's followed the food rules, although we have to keep reminding her of a few of them. She has started forcing us to let her help us cook. However, seeing as how her platelets are pathetically low she is not allowed to do anything involving a sharp object (which she does listen to). But, that's my mom, I didn't expect too much different.

So, right now she is listening to my iPod trying to drown out the overly sweet nurse next to us who is being very nice in talking to this boy while he is waiting on an IV drip, but she hasn't stopped talking in a good 20 minutes, which is getting a bit annoying. And I am about to run down to the cafeteria to get some chocolate - when all else fails, chocolate does fix minor emotional issues :) My poor arms are so sore from shoveling yesterday that typing is even getting tiring. We went up to my grandparents house and shoveled off their driveway and roof. Here is my dad with his newest contraption made in our basement...

It worked quite well, and while one worked on the roof the other worked on the driveway, then we switched. I had some issues standing on a ladder with boots that were too big for me (I had to wear an old pair of my dad's because I don't have any), pulling a huge shovel contraption. The good thing was if I fell it would have just been on snow, so that worked out well. In the end the driveway was clear, the roof wasn't overloaded with snow, and we headed home for some dinner.While we were gone Brandy and my mom started the newest scrapbook project which will be baby and kid pictures of me, Brandy, Matt and Nicole for my parents. The pics were hysterical, and looking through them is always entertaining. We finished up this morning, and this evening while we watch the Opening Ceremonies we may start looking at page layouts. In two weeks Brandy and I will be spending a whole weekend cropping, so we will not DEFINITELY not be lacking in pictures!



Well, I'll see you on the flip side - after another 10 hour drive back home...where supposedly it's calling for snow tonight! Yes, in Charleston. It's insane. What is with me a snow wherever I go? God was NOT joking about answering my wishes for snow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment