Monday, October 12, 2009

Hands Around the World

Our church picnic this weekend was awesome! We have quite a number of people from different countries that attend our church (hence the name International Church of God), and so each year we have a picnic to celebrate our cultural heritage as it were. This year, seeing as I'm now in charge of the kids, I was in charge of the kids crafts and pinata smashing :) All the countries make food, so we can sample different food from different countries (Aunt Barb - you guys should come down and we should totally do an Ethiopia table next year!) Sandor added Hungarian food to the festivities this year, as well as making a kilt for Justin (whose family actually is Irish and thus the kilt makes sense). Justin by the way won the best outfit award, earning Sandor his first award-winning kilt :)

After eating, we had a little pinata smashing and then retired to the volleyball court, where there is a battle of the nations...well kinda...this year we had Asia, Africa, Micronesia, and two USA teams. I think the rules are you need at least 2 people from the actual country (continent in many cases), and at least 2 girls on each team. I have never joined in the volleyball festivities as I haven't played volleyball since high school, but this year I was almost drafted for the Africa team, until they realized they had all the people they needed, and so at the last minute (as in the team was standing on the court and yelled, Becky where are you?) I was drafted onto the Asia team - hey what can I say, I go where I am called :) Considering I was a bit rusty, I wasn't all that bad - a few missed serves being the most obvious sign. In the end Micronesia won, thanks to their ridiculous ability to actually spike the ball.

Of course we picked the hottest day of the month, but whatever, it was fun anyway :)

filling the Pinata - those things take a LOT of candy!

I couldn't help but put this picture in - Good Lord she is cute!

Megan sporting her 'Team Leonard' t-shirt (otherwise known as Team Africa, but I like Team Leonard better) :)

Justin in his kilt looking for Ireland on the ginormous globe

Sandor showing the kids how to do one of the crafts that I brought for them, but for the life of me couldn't figure out

award time

me and Cynthia - you would not believe what it took to get the picture - Sandor kept snapping them without telling us and we looked ridiculous in every one!

No comments:

Post a Comment