Thursday, October 1, 2009

Another Glorious Day at the Office

This ladies and gentlemen is why you'll take pathetic pay and still be happy about it - yesterday Maia and I joined Kim for one of the Coastal Exploration Series events. Those who live in the Charleston area may want to check it out because it's pretty sweet - I mean granted I'm Kim supervisor, so I think the programs she puts together are pretty cool and perhaps am a bit biased by her coolness, but really it is a good program.

Anyway, yesterday was Fall Wildflower Walk, and being that I haven't been in the field in about 2 months I was itching for a day out of the office. I could have gone the whole day and not seen a single wildflower and still thought it was a great day based purely on the beautiful weather, so all the following pictures were a plus :)








Maia's nemesis - the fire ants. She unfortunately walked onto a nest, and thankfully Kim noticed it because she only got one bite and her entire ankle is swollen to a ridiculous size today!


in addition to flowers we saw some animals...small though they may be



Our favorite flower - gerardia - I had forgotten my zoom lens which was making me mad, and then I finally realized that if I took off the auto focus I could focus onto something much smaller...only took me about 2 hours to figure out that obvious fact!


Broom sedge - apparently you really can make brooms out of this


We ended up on the marsh to see a few plants out there that flower in the fall - here is sea lavender.

Maia and I were kinda over the whole walking thing so we sat in the sun and looked through the wildflower and caterpillar books while everyone else continued down the boardwalk

After a wonderful day in the sun, we stopped at Kudzu Bakery for a delicious lunch and then took one more break on the way home for a little something sweet...a wonderful end to a wonderful day!

1 comment:

  1. Finally something about your job that I actually get to do too.(Since I can't exactly watch dolphins play in the harbor while I'm sitting on the back porch outside my office :)). I spent a glorious day at the "office" today walking a proposed wetland/stream mitigation bank in McCormick County. There were dozens of wildflowers in bloom there too. I also get to go back there tomorrow.

    PS - I really wanted to go on the Hammock Islands one and was all set to come up with an excuse to drive to the coast for the day but then I had a conflict I couldn't get out of. Think you can use your influence to offer it again sometime soon?

    ReplyDelete