Monday, January 19, 2009

Mocha Club

I have been trying to figure out what to do for my 31st birthday (I've made a rule for myself that I'm going to choose a 'service' to help with each year of my 30s). Last year I asked people to join me in helping Habitat for Humanity for a day. I don't think I can get my friends and family to do any more manual labor this year, so I've been attempting to find something that people can help me donate to. I have so many charities that I think are doing good work it's been hard to choose one. I did however feel like I needed to choose a charity specific to Africa and specific to children. I'm not sure why, but that's my heart this year. Some of it may be because my Aunt is adopting three children from Ethiopia (ALMOST there!), plus my friend is in the process of adopting a little girl from Ethiopia.

So, if you want to join in my 31st birthday service this year I have two options for you. The first is the adoption agency that my aunt is adopting from - Adoption Advocates International. You can donate at their website whatever you might be interested in giving.

The second is this group called Mocha Club. I saw a video about them on my aunt's site (the video is below) and was touched by it because I often think of just what they talk about in the video. We consider the fact that Africa has so little as something they should be unhappy about, and yet they are probably happier than most Americans because they are not so focused on circumstances defining how they feel. Mocha Club is set up on the idea that you give $7 a month (or two mochas a month) to a project of your choice.


Join my Mocha Club team!



So, if you are feeling up to it donate to this or another charity for that matter - just give to something outside yourself, that is going to benefit someone beyond you. It's not much, but it's something, and a lot of people giving something adds up.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you that I am going to join your Mocha team!!! My monthly mocha bill, if I stopped at the local shop on my way to work, would add up to at least $80 a month, just for my morning raspberry mocha latte on work days. Laird makes me a mocha in my travel mug (stainless steel!) each morning with the Bialatte, and I enjoy it at my desk first thing when I get to work. Yum! Happy 31st Birthday!!!! -Ant B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proud to be your mother and see what a giving compaionate person you have grown into. Love MOM

    ReplyDelete