Wednesday, March 26, 2008

TAG - You're it...

As it seems, I have been tagged by Rachel! I didn't realize there was tagging allowed in blog world, but it seems pretty fun, so I'll give it a try. In being tagged I have been told to share 10 little known facts about myself and then tag other bloggers to do the same. So here we go...

1. I think sea cucumbers are about the coolest ocean animal there is. I realize that dolphins and sharks get all the hype, but as soon as I learned that they can shoot their guts out of their butts at would-be predators I determined they are way more fun. I also think it's pretty cool that you can use them to squirt people with water. You just pick them up off the bottom and squeeze them a bit and if you are lucky water comes out instead of their guts.

2. That little factoid above about the sea cucumber shooting out it's guts at predators is the only thing I remember from my freshman class biology class. Well that and the scientific name for the jellyfish - Chrysaora quinquiciera. So much for long term memory.

3. I can't remember numbers for the life of me. I have graduated from not one, but two science degree programs but memorizing numbers has just never been my thing. Thank goodness for cell phone address books!

4. I don't eat the corner crusts on bread. Anyone who has seen me eat a sandwich knows this - Maia specifically loves to pick on me about it. It's just too much bread for what little sandwich inside you get at the corner. Although sandwiches aren't the only thing - as a general rule I don't clear my plate on most meals. I don't know why, it just seems to happen. I guess I'm just not convinced that the starving children in Africa will want my scraps by the time they reach Africa.

5. If I were given a chance to be an animal it would be an otter! Have you seen how much fun they look like they are having even in a zoo. Imagine how cool it is to be an otter in the wild...well as long as you are an otter in the wild far away from killer whales.

6. The smell of diesel makes me sick. It's really annoying actually. I always hated switching tanks during 2 dive trips because inevitably the boat smells like diesel the whole time. It's also really annoying that I can tell when there is a truck somewhere up in the traffic line and yet I can't get out from behind the smell.

7. Speaking of smells - when I'm about to get a migraine, I don't see an aura, I smell really really super well. I know it's weird, but I'm not kidding. That knowing when I'm sitting behind a truck in traffic turns into knowing that in about 5 miles we are going to pass a truck. I'm serious people, this is no joke. And add the diesel smell making me sick to the sick feeling once I get the migraine and we are in for a world of trouble.

8. I ate an ant in the Amazon. It tasted like lemons. Our guide told us to try it and I figured, hey, when else am I going to eat an ant?

9. I did synchronized swimming for 5 years. Yep, it's true - I put more make-up on in those 5 years than I have the rest of my life. Not to mention knox gelatin in my hair. In the end, my duet partner and I got a really good score when we didn't deserve it and I decided that I couldn't stand the fact that now that we were known we could get good scores even though we were just as good 3 years before but weren't known and so couldn't get good scores. Kinda ironic that I quit once I was considered 'known' enough. Oh well, I never liked holding my breathe while upside down in the water for minutes at a time anyway.

10. I don't have a bone behind my left ear. When I was about 12, I had a reoccurring ear infection that my new uncle (who happened to be an ear doctor) finally diagnosed as mastoiditis (the mastoid bone is the one behind your ear). So, that year instead of going to the state swim meet I was having ear surgery and not allowed in the water for 3 months (yes, all of summer swim season). But, I now have a functioning ear drum, only 10% hearing loss, and get to freak out my uncle by going diving (which as an ear doctor he is really not happy about).

Hope it was enjoyable!

In turn, I have tagged:
Sandor
Ad
Aunt Barb
Have fun! It was actually quite entertaining.

2 comments:

  1. Dude! I didn't know about the synchronized swimming! Fun facts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're missing it girl...Corner crusts are absolutely the best part of a sandwich! :)

    ReplyDelete