Saturday, December 5, 2009

My Favorite Things

Anyone who knows me know that I love Christmas. I'm not kidding - I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!! So in celebration of that I thought I would recap what I've loved the first 5 days of December, which for all intents and purposes are the first 5 days of Christmas in my book.

Day 1: I loved walking into work surrounded by the decorations we did the night before. There is just something about Christmas decorations that makes me smile. Stockings, snowmen, Santas, candy canes, trees, holly, candles...how can you look at that and not smile? Add in there a balsam fir candle burning and you've got a great way to start the day!

Day 2: Christmas music! I know that a lot of people find Christmas music annoying and most of them use hearing it in stores too much as their excuse. My comment to that is spend less time at the stores! I can listen to Christmas music everyday through December if necessary, and not once find it annoying (much to Sandor's chagrin). Stefanie and I had to drive to Wilmington on Wednesday and within the first 10 minutes of the drive realized that we both LOVED Christmas music, which made the radio station selection quite easy for the rest of the drive :)

Day 3: With December 3rd came unpacking from my Wilmington trip, at which point I found my Christmas clothes! And thus promptly put on some Christmas slippers and chose a Christmas shirt for the next day. Now I am a bit conservative on this end as far as Christmas lovers goes. I like the plain shirts with a tiny Christmas something or another on them. But Christmas socks! They are awesome. And I happen to own a pair of underwear that sing Christmas carols...warning on these, don't wear them to a meeting and move wrong. It's an uncomfortable explanation of where the music is coming from with your boss and his boss.

Day 4: Decorating the Christmas tree - by far one of my favorites of the season. This specific aspect of my Christmas obsession does in fact seem to have grown on Sandor. The first year we were married he was very confused by why I wanted to set up the tree as early as I did. In my opinion, we've only got a month - use it well! This year he actually asked me when we were going to decorate, so Friday I left work a bit early, we got ourselves a recently cut tree from the mountains and decorated it up! I still remember pulling out Christmas ornaments when I was little from the big box my parents had Brandy and I paint that is stored up in the attic. And every ornament reminds me of someone, or something, or some time. It's so fun to open them all up. I'm definitly a random tree decorator. I love the theme trees, but I just have too many random ornaments that I love to leave them in the box :)



for an added touch, I made Sandor and I hot chocolate this year while we were decorating!
Day 5: My favorite thing for today would be Christmas traditions. I love the fact that everyone has their own tradition they remember, or a moment they can't forget, or a person that Christmas reminds them of. Some people could argue that it makes it less special that everyone has something of their own about Christmas that makes it special because then you aren't the only one, but I think that is exactly what makes Christmas so beautiful. Today I was introduced to a tradition of a tiny little town called Barrineau, SC. I have heard legends of this parade for years at my church, but this was the first year most of us experienced it. It was definitely an experience, and one that I'm glad I got to enjoy. I don't know what was more fun, seeing the parade, or watching others in our group see it. And then my pastor and I spent most of the trip back talking about what we remember about Christmas! It seemed very fitting after seeing someting that was a specific tradition to that town.
One of the floats from the parade. Let's just say this particular parade was like nothing I'd seen before.
And that was only 5 days - we've got 20 left...and 6 more in December if you want to stretch the season to New Years. Ahhh, glorious!

No comments:

Post a Comment