Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Overweight Nation



For some reason doctor's offices like to take you out of the 'waiting room', where all the waiting items such as magazines are located, and move you into the room in the back, but then make you wait more. While I was waiting in the room with no magazines today entertained myself by reading all the stuff on the walls, one of which was a BMI calculator. Now, seeing as how I had just been weighed, I happened to know that I weigh 152 pounds(I hate when they move the 100 pound thing and slowly slide the single pound line along until it hits 50 and they have to move the 100 back and move the 150 over, and then start sliding the one pound again...I need to get back below 150 for many reasons, but this being the number one reason).

I looked down the BMI scale for my height of 5'6" and my weight, and find that interestingly enough I am teetering on the 'overweight' line. Yeah, not kidding you, I am on the edge of being overweight. Now, while I may joke about my weight, I do not actually believe that I'm fat. So I find it interesting that the BMI scale thinks that I am (or at least thinks that if I gain 2 pounds I will be). So here is my point to contemplate today...according to USA Today 62% of adults are overweight. While I know that there are a lot of overweight people out there, if we are considering people who are not actually overweight to be overweight we might be skewing the statistics a bit.

2 comments:

  1. BMI is long-hand for BS. Bone density, musculature, and age don't fit the system. True, we are a nation of fatties...it's been a long time since I saw a really skinny teen-ager, which used to be the norm, but BMI is not real. Especially in my case.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo - since we weigh approximately the same (last time I weighed myself I wasn't quite to 150), I am an inch shorter; BUT many years older I wonder if I am considered "overweight". I think they give allowances for age (one of the only times). :)

    ReplyDelete