Monday, June 14, 2010

Biscuits

One day back in May, Kim and I had extra time after a morning in the field and on our way back to work stopped to pick strawberries before the season ended. Strawberry picking tends to leave you with a million strawberries that you need to do something with so I found a handy dandy recipe for strawberry orange marmalade that I thought I would try out. Now, of course because I have so much free time on my hands I have tons of time to make jelly...right. I went ahead and froze the strawberries because while I had good intentions I figured those good intentions would result in a lot of spoiled berries, and a few weeks later when a state holiday was upon me I pulled them back out of the freezer and went ahead and made my marmalade.

I ran out of jars and had to put the last few jars of marmalade into tupperware which now resides in my fridge. Up until this point, however, I had not actually tasted it. Which brings us to last night. Brandy and I were trying to decide at 9:00 if it was worth making something for dinner. I said something about her needing to try the marmalade, at which point we got a brilliant idea - biscuits from Bojangles and marmalade for dinner. Perfect! So we drove down the road and as I'm ordering I start realizing what a ridiculous order I'm making:

BoJ person: "Can I help you?"
me: "I'd like 4 biscuits"
person: "any butter or jelly"
me: "no, and then I'd also like...(start laughing because I realize how ridiculous this is sounding) a ham and biscuit sandwich (for John)...(try to keep composure and not laugh out loud)...and a sausage and biscuit sandwich"
person: "is that everything?"
me: "yes...(again, forcing myself to stop laughing...while Brandy is laughing and not helping matters)"

we pull around to the window and the conversation goes something like this

me: "sorry I'm laughing I just realized as I was saying it how ridiculous my order sounded"
person: "that's ok, who am I to judge?" (indicating he obviously agrees it is a ridiculous order)
Brandy: "do people order biscuits usually?"
person: "yes, it's not that strange...well, I guess at 9:30 at night it is, but...(trailing off as to not continue talking about how odd our order is)"
Brandy: "well we just have some homemade jelly that we want to eat with biscuits and we don't have any biscuits"
person: "so you have homemade jelly but you are buying the biscuits instead of making them?"
me: "yeah, I guess we are kinda lazy about the biscuits, we just don't feel like making them"
person: "like I said, who am I to judge"
us: laughing

Needless to say, Bojangles possibly thinks we are total idiots, but whatever. We had delicious biscuits and jelly - and it motivated me to actually get up this morning and run with Brandy since I ate such an absurd dinner!

Brandy very excited about the biscuits and jelly:

No comments:

Post a Comment