Saturday, June 19, 2010

Where's all the toilet paper?

Well, final packing day has arrived. We leave tomorrow! I actually packed up my backpack on Thursday night. I originally intended just to lay stuff out, make sure I didn't need to get anything on Friday and organize things, however, when that was done I realized that the entire organizational structure was laid out on my bed and thus if I actually wanted to go to bed it would mean I needed to either pile it all back onto the pile it came from (which was out of the question), find another place to transfer the organized piles (which didn't exist) or pack it up. So round about 1:30 am Friday morning my backpack was ready to go. AND I fit everything I needed into it with no second bag. This turned out to be very useful when we were doing final medicine and supply packing Friday night and realized there was no way this was all going to fit. Hence my second bag is now all the paperwork and labels for the clinic - works out well that I knew I didn't need a second carry-on.

So, today rolls around and I have two last things I need to buy. Two more little rolls of toilet paper and a thin rain jacket. I figured they shouldn't be that hard to find, so I wasn't much worried about it. I also had a few other errands to run so I figured I would do all of that after a morning meeting with Cynthia and our bible study groups, and then a mid-morning birthday tea party for Aubrey (which by the way was super cute). I started errand running at 1:30. It is 4:30 and I have yet to find someone selling anything I need to purchase. Oh wait, I did get a Father's Day card (note the card will be going in the mail today...sorry about that Dad). If it was a movie I'd be laughing, but it's my life, so I may as well let you laugh. I go to Target first figuring if they don't have stuff I can swing by Dick's which was right next door and possibly a bit more expensive. I checked the camping, travel and toilet paper section of target, all to no avail. They did have a rain jacket for $40, but I was really hoping to buy a super cheap one, I just want something to stuff in the bag to have on hand. Most of the time we can stay out of the rain if we need to, or we are going to be in the rain so long a rain jacket won't matter much - in either condition it doesn't matter if I have a $5 jacket or a $100 jacket in my bag. For those random times having a jacket may be handy I figure a $5 jacket will do. So, I leave the store and head over to Dick's - certain my quest will now end. However, not only do they not have little rolls of toilet paper, they also don't have any rain jackets. Well they have them, but they are expensive and they are heavy. I have a heavy rain jacket, a very nice one in fact. What I'm looking for is a cheap flimsy one. Well, the next thing on the list was Dina's dog food. She can only eat a certain kind because she is allergic to so much stuff and I figured I would make it easier on Oliver (who will be watching the house and the dogs...Brandy's dogs are here too) and buy some extra because they are running low. Dolittles is the only dog place I can get the specific brand she needs, and guess what I was informed - someone just bought the last bag! Sweet. Well, we will switch Dudley over to Kaylinn's food and Dina's should last. Dolittles was near Half Moon Outfitters so I figured I would see if they had toilet paper. No. Jackets? Yes, but they were $100. Moving on. To the pharmacy to get the prescription that is finally ready. When I get up to the line she rings it up as $50. Wait, I pay $15, $25 max for prescriptions, what is this $50 thing? She informs me that there is another brand (which I know because I had been using it, but it doesn't work the same) that has a generic and so the insurance is not paying all of it. Well, I'm not paying $50 for 2 weeks worth of nasal spray. I'll just suffer through with Claratin and go back to Flonase which I was using before. I ask about the toilet paper and no, they don't have any travel sizes either. So, at this point I'm about to scream at something or someone so I calmly leave the store and go to Sonic. At least a cherry coke and chedd-r-peppers will cheer me up. I push the button and sit there for about 5 minutes until I realize no one is going to answer my button and then drive to the drive through only to have the slowest drive through experience of all time. All I want is a cherry coke!!! I can roll my own toilet paper rolls and stand in the rain while my nose drips because I don't have the expensive allergy medicine and the dogs eat the wrong food, just give me a cherry coke!

With that tyrade screamed internally, I eventually get my cherry coke in hand and head to work to finish up our suitcase list so we know what is in each suitcase for customs. Thankfully the computer turned on just fine so at least something is going right. Then I'm going home...to roll toilet paper rolls because apparently there was a mass rush on Charmin To Go this week. And then tomorrow morning at 6:30am we'll meet at the church to load up, go to the airport and check in before service, and then directly afterwards we will be on our way to Panama City! This week it's been so hot in Charleston that it was actually cooler in Panama City...so that's a plus, right? See you all on the flip side - keep us in your prayers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment