Friday, March 12, 2010

The Results Are In

We've been waiting for the results of the blood test that gives us the preliminary idea of whether Brandy's bone marrow is doing it's thing. They came back today and the doctor gave us two words before she got a call and had to leave - All Donor! You heard it people, all the blood cells they tested were Brandy's. Did I ever mention that 24 days in they were about to call this whole thing a failure? True to Brandy's form she rallied back at the last minute and proved them all wrong! ALL DONOR CELLS!!!!

What does that mean? Well, the only way you can have blood cells in your blood is if your marrow makes them. The only way you can be making blood cells as a marrow cell is if you've grafted into bone. And hence, Brandy's marrow has officially grafted! Praise. the. Lord.

What's next? Well today is day 42. On day 60 they will do a bone marrow test to see how much of Brandy's bone marrow is actually doing it's thing vs. how much of mom's marrow is holding out fighting. Red blood cells are still going down, but we think it may be a few more weeks before they turn the corner and head on up. Red blood cells are the longest lived, and thus last to return. Once all the counts are back and we know that it's Brandy's cells bring them back my gets even more of her normal life back - i.e. gets to go back to work, can travel, can stop her weekly visits.

Thank you to all who have been praying for my mom and our family, your prayers are beautifully strong! Speaking of prayers, please keep my friend Rachel and her family in your prayers. I really can't describe how hard it is to watch someone fight cancer, but I thank God for the faith he's grown in me through watching my mom do it, and I pray for strength and comfort to Rachel and the many others who are having to watch someone they love literally fight for their life. Walking through Hopkins every time we go down there I'll see someone crying, or someone in a wheelchair, or hear someone on a phone explaining test results, and I'm reminded how blessed we have been even on the bad days. And I pray I never forget that.

No comments:

Post a Comment