Thursday, September 4, 2008

Minus 2 wheels

Welcome September! and the end of summer in Charleston! September never used to be one of my favorite months, but from the first year I moved to Charleston I realized that come September the humidity starts falling and it seems a lot less of a torture chamber to be outside. And this September did not disappoint. It is shaping up beautiful...well there are a few hurricanes brewing in the Atlantic that may be troublesome, but we'll ignore that for now.

So fresh off my first triathlon (we'll have more on that later when I finally get around to downloading the pictures) and feeling motivated by the drop in temperature, I have officially begun commuting to work via bicycle! And it is fantastic! My dad lent me his bike so I could try it out and see how I like it. I've been thinking about the switch for a few months, but a) I was not feeling it when I started sweating just walking to my car, let alone biking to my house and b) the main road I take to work is a death trap for bicyclists. Then, when I started training for the triathlon I started swimming at the local rec center and found a back way to my house that goes through a neighborhood rather than on the main road. It adds a mile to the distance between my house and work, but returning with all 4 limbs makes 2 extra miles a day worth it.

So, since Monday was a holiday, Tuesday was my first official biking day. And, I rode in yesterday and today as well! Tomorrow I may go with the car option since the first of the hurricanes may hit us at some point tomorrow. I'll be tempted to ride if I wake up and it's beautiful outside though. I think my favorite thing about it is that it forces me to slow down and relax. Since I'm not going anywhere fast I'm not thinking the whole way. Instead I hear the crickets, and smell the marsh mud, and notice the puffy clouds (and how much they need to upkeep the very few bike lanes they have on James Island). So, all in all, I'm a big fan and am very happy with my commute minus 2 wheels!

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome! How much fun to get to enjoy your ride to work every day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops...that comment was from me, I didn't realize I was logged in as Mike! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I'm doing the mini-commute to CofC (I park downtown and ride the rest of the way) since I'm not quite ready for the bridge. Ummmm, how are you handling the perspiration issue?

    ReplyDelete