Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Scots come to Charleston

Today Sandor and I went to the Charleston Scottish Games. It was without a doubt my favorite festival type event I've attended to date. There was just the right mix of things to watch, things to eat, people watching to do, space to wander around in, and diversity of things to see. On the entertainment side, we saw them 'toss the sheaf', 'toss the caber' and 'toss the weight'. It was impressive to say the least, but it was also just cool to learn about the different sports and watch the different techniques people used. We were cracking up that it took 4 people to carry the caber over to the guy who then threw it!

We then wandered over to the highland dancing competition and saw two different types of dances, and then we saw a border collie demonstration! The guy used a whistle to tell the dogs what to do and where to herd the sheep! It was incredible! And I think we have determined that Kaylinn is part border collie - I've never actually seen one until today but she has so many characteristics that match it's amazing. Based on the fact that she has an Irish name, we got her when we were about to head to Ireland, and we now have determined she is possibly part Scottish/Irish herding dog we decided to get her a tartan collar, which I must say she looks very fancy with it. We were going to get her one made from the tartan for the name Walker, but found out that apparently while there is a Walker clan and it does have a tartan, it's not printed very often and the guy said he has never actually seen it in fabric form. So we went with just looking through all the collars and picking out the print we liked the most. We ended up both picking the same one and when we looked at the tartan it was an Irish one, which seemed fitting :) The other thing that cracked me up at this stand was that they had these dog 'clothes' that involved a dog kilt. I am not a big fan of dog clothes in general, however, there are a few that crack me up and therefore I find acceptable (namely Dudley's winter coat). These were freaking hysterical and if they weren't so expensive I would have totally gotten Kaylinn one!

The whole time you were listening to bagpipes and 3/4 of the people were in kilts of every color combination imaginable. And, beyond the fact I had a great time it was a gorgeous day outside! Of course we forgot the camera, but there is always fun pics to steal from the internet!

3 comments:

  1. I DID remember my camera so plase check out my blog posting.

    Funny we both were impressed that it took 4 people to bring back the Caber.

    You didn't mention "Haggis."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so fun! There was a scottish festival in Virginia last weekend that we almost went to, until we realized that we really needed to keep unpacking. I'm inspired to go next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cool - always wanted to attend a scottish festival.
    i'm sure the tartan collar looks adorable - there are other options though to show scottish pride, check out www.patriapet.com
    i just found them and they've got some great stuff.
    your dog is very cute!

    ReplyDelete