Sunday, June 15, 2008

Just Keep Swimming

I know that I said I was going to start exercising a while ago, but this time I really mean it! Brandy and my plans to do the Biltmore run never really materialized, which meant that the training for it never really got off the ground floor. So, we are starting again. This time with a more interesting goal - a triathlon! I, however, will only be doing two legs of said event - my dad will be handling the biking portion. And actually, if we convince Sandor to do the running part, I'll really only do the swimming, but the fact that a goal exists and that it is close enough...and small enough (500 meter swim and 3 mile run) to get my mind around I have been much more successful this week than most starting week. I actually exercised all week! I know it's amazing what happens when you only commit to waking up 3 days early instead of 5, and when you give yourself a little change in pace other than running. So Monday and Wednesday I ran with Susan before work (having someone meeting me to run was another major forcing factor), Tuesday and yesterday I swam, Thursday I did yoga and Friday I biked on the stationary bike. I think it was rather a success!

I will say, however, that they aren't kidding when they say the body ain't what it used to be! Wow, a 3 mile run never seemed so difficult before! And swimming! My arms were tired after 150 yards. Good Lord people, I used to knock out 3 miles just in the morning before going on with the rest of my day, which included a second practice. But, I'm working my way up. I swam 1200 yards on Tuesday and 1500 yesterday. I should be all set for a mile worth of swimming next week. It's amazing how well my body remembers everything though. As far as the actual swimming goes, I am glad I'm back - for some strange reason I really did miss that horrible chlorine smell :)

1 comment:

  1. Yeah for exercising! Remember, I've got a mighty fun marathon you could train for if your heart desires!!!

    ReplyDelete