Friday, February 8, 2008

A Day in the Sun

Days at work like yesterday remind me of why I love my job! We headed out to the newest DNR property to look around and groundtruth some locations for trails and educational trips that will take place once the 4000 acres are opened to the public. It was an incredible place! It's awesome walking on a beach that no one else is on and wandering along trails through the woods. We saw hawks, enormous great blue herons, some overwintering Monarch butterflies (this became the joke of the afternoon once we started seeing double digits of butterflies you generally never see this time of the year), bobcat tracks, deer tracks and trails, and heard tons of birds (me not being the birding expert meant I cannot tell you what they are). Remembering that we are in fact keeping some of these places natural instead of housing condos is a nice reminder to keep the faith that what we are doing will one day make a difference!

the beach - incredible how many shells there are on a beach when there are no vacationing massess picking them up!

Maia listening to the ocean :)
me on the random swing we found

all the girls

some pictures of the driftwood and trees on the beach



some of the more historical places on the plantation - this is an icehouse that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places - we thought it looked more like a church!

see what I mean by this place is enormous! this is one side of the huge pond in the middle of the property

as always I'm a sucker for pictures of live oaks

1 comment:

  1. This place looks AWESOME!! Can't wait to take my little ones out there!!
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete