Sunday, June 28, 2009

More questions

Since we are in the testing kind of mood, we have another question for you. Our last question was from the logic portion of the SAT. This one is more of a reading comprehension.

Reading Passage:
John and Brandy went for a "romantic" walk on the Folly Beach pier while waiting for their table for dinner. A lightning storm had just passed through, thus making their wait longer because there was no outdoor seating. While on the pier, Brandy took a few pictures of the two of them together. After looking in the viewfinder of the "romantic pier" photos (click on picture for more detail) below the following conversation took place.

Brandy: I can't use this picture in my scrapbook. It looks like the wind is blowing my hair all over the place.

John: No it doesn't. We aren't taking another picture. I'm tired of living my life for your scrapbooks. Sometimes I just want to have events in my life that I think back on and think God, we had a fun time even though there is no record of it.

Q1: Why does Brandy seem to think the wind caused her hair to do this when it really wasn't that windy outside and her hair was tied back in a bun?

Q2: Why did John not notice this new hairstyle for the previous 10 minute before the picture?

Q3: Why did no one else on the pier comment on her ridiculous hair?

Q4: What is likely to happen next?


A1: I guess she wasn't paying attention.

A2: I guess he wasn't paying attention.

A3: I guess they weren't paying attention.

A4: Brandy's hair indicates that she is statically charged, and most likely about to be struck by lightning. It is not safe to assume that just because no one else's hair looks like this she is safe. In fact, she is less so, because she is the only one that is statically charged.

[Information thanks to the "Safety: Be Lightning Wise" website]

4 comments:

  1. Logic is not really at play here, as the environment is clearly an emotional whirlpool, not a structured model. Brandy, although at higher risk of strike due to static charge, is still not likely, statistically, to be struck by lightning. John, on the other hand, is nearly statistically certain to be struck by Brandy for his comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with John - being on the side of the one most frequently having to stop with the photographer ( and even though I am an avid scrapbooker). Go John Go

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been there - done that...classic Venus and Mars

    ReplyDelete