Sunday, March 8, 2009

Dave Barry and Daylight Savings

Today Sandor and I headed downtown to get a piece of jewelry for a friend of mine at my favorite store, Handpicked. It is a super cute store and I always find something I'm looking for, problem is it is on King Street, which means you have to pay for parking...once you find it. My general rule for downtown parking is I drive around looking for street parking for about 5 minutes, if in 5 minutes the parking gods have not delivered a street spot for me I head to the nearest garage and suck up the 3 or 4 dollars in exchange for my sanity.

No street parking to be found on one of the first gorgeous Sunday afternoons, so to the garage we headed. Then, once you are parked in the garage you figure you better make the best of the fact that you are going to pay 3 or 4 dollars so no sense in only parking for 20 minutes. Thus, we decided to grab lunch while we were there. Sandor happened to see a little sandwich shop on a side road on the way in so we checked it out - it happened to deliver a very delicious italian sub, so I was quite excited about the find.

On the wall of the shop I saw a sign that had '16 things it took me 50 years to learn' by Dave Barry. I had forgotten how much I loved Dave Barry until the moment I saw his name. Lisa and I used to be obsessed with his books, and then when I lived in Florida and actually got the newspaper he writes a column in I got to enjoy him weekly. Reading the list reminded me why I find him so hilarious, and seeing as how one of the points was related to Daylight Savings it seemed fitting to include today. However, in searching for the list on the internet I found out that it is actually a shortened list of the original '25 things it took me 50 years to learn'. So, I decided to pull out a few of my favorites and you can search for the 16 or the 25 yourself if you feel so inclined. Thus, a few of my personal favorites, beginning with daylight savings...

- You will never find anybody who can give you a clear and compelling reason why we observe daylight-saving time.

- You should never say anything to a woman that even remotely suggests you think she's pregnant unless you can see an actual baby emerging from her at that moment.

- If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race has not achieved, and never will achieve, its full potential, that word would be "meetings."

- You should not confuse your career with your life.

- A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.

- The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status, or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we all believe that we are above-average drivers.

When I lived in Florida I remember a column he wrote specifically on the topic of people thinking they are good drivers and found in during my internet searching - I would HIGHLY recommend you read it...here...and in searching his past columns for the one I remembered I found his review of 2008, which has hysterically laughing.
If you'd like something lengthier that he has written I would recommend 'Dave Barry Slept Here: A Sort of History of the United States'. Lisa and I read this in high school and loved the fact that he made everything happen on the same date because he didn't like remembering dates. Sadly, I think I learned more history from that book than I did from my 10th grade history class - I mean how couldn't I? The teacher spent a month going over the table of contents in the history book...I'm not kidding you, ask my poor fellow classmates. It was in this class that Lisa and I made an entire language which we then began writing notes in...backwards...and in shapes...and the teacher never noticed.

But I digress. Happy Daylight Savings everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment