Thursday, December 18, 2008

Born In September

Nearing my 30th birthday last year I wrote out a list of what my 20s had brought, and was very excited about all the things I had experienced in 10 years. I decided that for the next 10 instead of looking for things to experience, I would start looking for ways to help other people experience things. So, for my 30th birthday I asked friends and family to join me on a Saturday to help Habitat for Humanity work on a house on John's Island. I then would decide each year what I wanted to do for my next birthday. I've come up with a few ideas for 31 next year, but haven't settled on anything yet. And then I saw this video on my Aunt Barb's blog, and suddenly the idea of making sure I did this every year through my 30s didn't seem so crazy anymore. So now it's just a matter of deciding what to do next year. Any ideas? List them out on my comments...

Oh and take a minute (well 3 minutes) to watch this video...

1 comment:

  1. Wow - what that guy is doing is so cool...that is really inspiring and makes me think of several things: 1) for several years now I've wanted to do something similar with my church. There's an organization called Clean Water U where you go to Mississippi for training and learn how to build simple water purification systems that can be used in third world countries. You then go on a mission trip to build and setup the system, 2) my oldest son Eric has recently told us he wants to join the Peace Corps...I'm going to be sure to show him this video as something else he could consider or maybe he could do something like this with the PC, 3) as someone who deals with water issues everyday in my job this reinforces something I already know - that we really take water for granted in this country - although I think the days of being able to do that are numbered. (I posted a slightly different version of this previously and then deleted it after I re-read it and couldn't understand what I said :))

    ReplyDelete