Friday, September 21, 2007

Visit to the Gov

Wow, this has been a crazy week! I can't believe it's Friday already. This week has been filled with work insanity, so nothing fun has been going on. But, last weekend I had a fun trip to Columbia (the city, not the country), which I have yet to blog about, so in the interest of keeping you all up to date on the goings-on here I'll post a few pics from there, since I highly doubt you want to see pictures of me sitting in my office scowling at my computer :)

So, last Sunday, Maia and I headed to the Governor's mansion to help out with the Governor's Cup Awards Banquet. The Governor's Cup is a big year long fishing tournament that DNR runs, so that is how we were pawned into doing this. It turned out to actually be quite a lot of fun. Granted I doubt it would have been fun at all if Maia hadn't been there, so she gets credit for fun :) Anyway, we drove up and started unloading the van full of all the trophies. I met the Governor's dogs, which are two cute extremely well behaved black labs. I had forgotten that dogs could be excited for you to pet them and yet still not jump up on you :) (Kaylinn is not so good at the no jumping) As we were setting up a mini-van pulls in and the Governor, his wife, and their kids pile out. It was kinda funny seeing someone you always see in suits walk by and say hello wearing a t-shirt and jeans (I guess I kinda forget all these politicos are actually people sometimes). Once the little shindig got started, Maia and I were in charge of registering guests, which involved hanging out and saying hello while they filled out their own nametag - the actual registering was done down at the security gate, so we were glorified greeters. But it was a gorgeous day, so hanging out on the porch with the non-humidity and a lite breeze was certainly not torture. Once most everyone was checked in, Amy came out to hang out at our spot for a while and Maia and I headed in to get something to eat! Ah, it was delicious! There were shrimp and black bean wrap things, tiny crab cakes, crab claws, shrimp, roast beef, spinach dip...and the highlight of my evening...delicious chocolate covered strawberries - of which I got the last one! The awards started and we hung out on the porch for some more and walked around the little garden thing beside their house. And then once everyone started heading home we went inside and mingled around, then cleaned up and headed home. Not a bad 7 hours of work. I mean how many days at the office do I get shrimp and chocolate covered strawberries :)


No comments:

Post a Comment