Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Blessed

I am blessed. My family and friends are amazing. I can't describe how beautiful it is to experience the outpouring of love and support I've experienced over the past few days. Little things like a note on facebook, big things like a dinner thrown just for me at church with more people showing up to hug me and tell me they love me than I could count, balloons, flowers, calls, texts, cards, and most of all people's time. One thing my mom always taught me was that your time is more valuable than anything tangible you can give someone. While I always knew it, I don't think I ever truly appreciated it until now. The time people take to write me a note, the time they take to sit at my house and paint my toes, the time they take to let me talk, the time they take to pray for me over and over and over again. It's actually made me realize that my mom taught me how to nurture relationships that will now nurture me. I think I'm going to notice over the next few months a whole lot of things I didn't realize my mom taught me how to do.

A poem Cynthia posted for me that I thought was beautiful...
I'M FREE (Linda Jo Jackson)

Don't grieve for me, for now I'm free,
I'm following the path God has laid you see.
I took his hand when I heard his call.
I turned my back and left it all.
I could not stay another day
To laugh, to love, to work or play.
Tasks left undone must stay that way
I foun the peace at the close of day.
If my parting has left a void
Then fill it with remembered joys -
A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss
Oh yes, these things I too will miss.
Be not burdened with times of sorrow
I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow.
My life's been full I savored much,
Good friends, good times, a loved one's touch.
Perhaps my time seemed all too brief
Don't lengthen it now with undue grief
Life up your hearts, and peace to thee -
God wanted me now, he set me free.

1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful poem...and so true in your mom's case. Thank you for sharing it for all of us to enjoy and be inspired by. We love you!

    ReplyDelete