Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Well played

What in the WORLD am I going to do without LOST? I mean really. You obviously know that I'm a LOST fan, and you either are or you are not as well. That actually is one of the things I appreciate about LOST - you're in or you're out - halfway just doesn't work and you would be confused out of your mind if you tried. So, for the sake of those who are not LOST fans I'll be brief. My favorite quote of the episode...possibly because it sums up the entire show: "Every question I answer will simply lead to another question." Come on! You have GOT to respect a show that calls itself out like that!

And while I'd love to go on and on about how great the episode was in the scheme of the show, and how brilliant the producers are for placing it exactly where they did, I'll simply copy the thoughts of the guy who writes LOST Mindgrapes (the only LOST comment blog I follow because he is generally right on with what I'm thinking and hilarious), because he sums it up perfectly:
"I imagine somewhere in the world, somebody decided they were going to check out this show "Lost" that they've been hearing about, and they started with this episode. What on earth would they be thinking? Don't get me wrong here, I thought this was a great episode. But if the show had kicked off Season One with this episode millions of people would have never tuned back in again. This is a lesson on how to successfully pace a sci-fi story with mystical elements. You start with a first season featuring mostly hot bods on the beach and love triangles. Then you slip in a Dharma initiative here or there, then go safely back to the love triangles and the family relationship dramas. Pause for a bit, toss in a little time travel, then when no one's looking you go completely Land of the Lost on everyone right in the last three episodes. I like it, Lost. Bold move."

Well played, LOST, well played.

No comments:

Post a Comment