Saturday, January 15, 2011

13.1

Today Brandy and I ran the Charleston Half Marathon! It was actually a very fun run, much better than our last half marathon, which we did at Kiawah a few years ago. We had run our marathon a year before and so we decided that 13 miles wasn't all that far and we didn't REALLY have to stick to our running schedule...not so much a good idea. We were in PAIN! So, our goal this time around was to a) follow our training schedule, and b) try to run it in 10 minute miles and finish in under 2 hours and 15 minutes.

So, yesterday I went to pick up our race packets and my dad bought Brandy and I cutie shirts that would make it easier to find us in the crowd and were made of that sweat wick material so our sweat wouldn't make us cold. I mean, seriously, how cute are we?

We also had some sweet $5 sweatshirts that went over them for the start because it was FREEZING outside this morning. We dropped those around the 4 mile mark and made our way along with the rest of the runners from downtown to North Charleston. Round about 8 miles my legs decided that they hated me and that I should stop running...obviously I did not, thankfully Brandy was there to pull me through. This was just before 10 miles where my dad, Nikole and Melody were standing to yell for us.

My legs were very happy about this and gave me a little more running without screaming in exchange for a cup of gatorade at the next water stop. But soon enough they were back to being pissy about the whole continuing to run thing after they told me they really wanted to stop. We persevered, however, and soon enough we were running the final mile through the old navy base and onto the finish line (the back side of the 5K and 10K start sign was finish).

And we ended up running in 2 hours and 11 minutes - a mighty fine time if I do say so myself. I wish I could have kept the little legs going just a little faster the last few miles to get us down to just over 2 hours, but I will totally take it. It's 25 minutes faster than our Kiawah time and we did finish in front of the 2 hour 15 minute pacing team, which I was kicking my butt to do (there is something painful about being passed towards the end).

We stayed around and watched the top mens and womens full marathoners finish - the top man finished in 3 hours and 38 minutes...in case you are trying to figure it out it is just over 5 minute miles...for 26 miles. And the top woman finished in just under 3 hours, putting her at an average of 7 minute miles. I find it amazing that humans can do that. The extra standing around actually really helped in the legs not tightening up to the point we couldn't walk afterward. It seems counter-intuitive, but as it turns out sitting down after is actually NOT the best option :)

We got lot of compliments on our shirts, which had the Jeremiah quote from my 2011 post on them - I think it's a sign! :) The race numbers also had our names on them which was cool because then people along the route yell for you. And we had someone yell 'go sisters'...and some people say Brandy and I don't look alike!

After some shrimp and grits, bagel and water at the finish, then Bojangles chicken and mashed potatoes after we got home and then a nice shower I am feeling good to be done, and glad we did it.

Oh, and just for fun we are also laying a tile floor in my kitchen and dining room this weekend...thankfully my friend Susan let us borrow her husband to assist my dad for the past few hours today because Brandy and I have been nearly useless...we have served as great cheerleaders from the couch :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh yay! Must start running again! Think I've forgotten how!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to both of you! Its such an accomplishment. I hope to run a half one day, but for now I am perfecting the 5k.

    ReplyDelete