Friday, March 7, 2008

The Many Tides of Ft. Johnson

There are many reasons I love my office - the window being one of them. I hate those overhead lights, so the fact I don't need to turn my lights on except when it's really overcast or early in the morning is nice. And of course the view isn't bad. But one of the most fun things to do is watch how one place on earth changes so much in just a few hours. When I learned how to dive I remember the instructor telling us that sometimes instead of swimming around and looking at things when you go, sometimes it is interesting to stay in one spot and watch what comes in and out of that area. And in fact, it is pretty cool. Granted you don't see as much big stuff, but you start to notice really small things that you wouldn't have seen otherwise. And having a window out on the world is much the same. You see a big group of pelicans hanging out in the water, the cormorants come and go, dolphins frolicking and one day we saw a mink from my boss's office pull a toadfish out of the water, beat him on the rocks and run off with him (yep, it was pretty intense). But one of the most obvious things which I rarely even take the time to notice is the tide. It's pretty amazing what a huge tide we get there, but when you are sitting at one spot you can actually see the difference. So I bring you the tides of Ft. Johnson...


Perhaps not as grandiose as a pod of dolphins, but pretty cool I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment